Our Back Yard is the name for the Big Lottery Fund's Create your Space Programme in Connah's Quay, Flintshire. The programme is aimed at empowering communities to improve their natural environment for current and future generations
Groundwork North Wales worked closely with key stakeholders to draw up the bid which included carrying out extensive consultation with the community to determine what was important to them about open spaces in the town. We've included as many of these ideas as possible in the project plan. So a big 'Thank You' to everyone who took part - there were over 400 of you
In August 2017, we were successful in securing nearly £650,000 for the five year Our Back Yard project. The project aims to increase people's pride in their neighbourhood, to strengthen community cohesion, provide opportunities for people of all ages to be more active in the open air, increase learning and volunteering opportunities and create improved habitats for wildlife.
The project plan includes:
- A big enhancement for Golftyn Park, adding many new features to make the Park attractive to many more people of all ages
- Establishing a local volunteering hub and network for environmental activities within the community - to complement the countywide volunteering network.
- Led and guided walks - for people with all abilities
- Installation of an i-beacon network providing information about Connah's Quay through interactive devices
- Places and Gardens for Pollinators - support for planting in public places and private gardens to aid the species vital to pollination
- Provide opportunities to develop local growing initiatives, community orchards and local enterprises linked to the environment
The official launch of the project took place with key partners in January 2018, this marked the start of an exciting programme which we hope the community will be part. Indeed the ultimate aim for Groundwork North Wales is that the community take greater control over the life of the project so it becomes self-sustaining. Our dedicated team will be working hard to ensure the project is a success and that the community is empowered to make a real difference to Connah's Quay.
Our Back Yard" is one of only 6 projects approved by Big Lottery Wales for this programme, out of more than sixty who originally applied. If you'd like to know more about the whole programme, and the other communities who will be taking part in this programme go to www.createyourspace.wales
For more information call Richard Aram, at Groundwork North Wales on 01978 757524.